Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Ok, so I didn't actually travel,

True, my May 17th was spent in a park, in Brooklyn, with people I spend most of my days with. However, it was indeed a cultural experience. Because the 17th of May is Norwegian Independence day and every year a parade is held in Leif Erikson park.


Norwegian independence Day is kind of like Norwegian Christmas for me. I get to hang out with all of my Norwegian friends (which is basically what they all are anyway) and eat Norwegian food and practice my rough language skills.

This year it kind of rained, but we Norske's don't let that bring down our good time. Mary-Ellen and I went on a top secret mission to steal some St. Olaf flags and then looked through a travel brochure. We cheered for Hannah as she carried a banner and they we found this troll to take a picture with.

The day inspired me to write this in my moleskine-


When I think about it all I get so sad. I love it there more than one should love a place. More than Captain VonTrapp loved Austria, and certainly more than Carrie Bradshaw loves Manhattan.
The very thought that at this moment I could be sitting by the pier in Oslo drinking coffee with a sugar cube in my mouth is enough to make me cry.
Sometimes, when I find myself just a bit too full of emotion and simply need to leak a few tears, I think I must be crying for Norway.

No comments: